Sunday, June 2, 2024

REVIEW: That Time I Got Drunk and Saved a Demon (book) by Kimberly Lemming

That Time I Got Drunk and Saved a Demon is a blend of fantasy romance and comedy. I bought my copy new.

Review:

Cinnamon just wants to live a peaceful life on her family's spice farm. Now that the goddess Myva has chosen her newest heroes and Cin knows for sure that she isn't one of them, she figures she can relax a little. Or maybe not. On her way home, a little drunk from a town celebration, Cin saves a guy who turns out to actually be a demon. She runs home and somehow survives, only to have him casually stop by the next day and completely turn her world upside down. According to him, Myva isn't actually a goddess, and he'll need Cin's help to defeat her and free all the demons who've spent their lives enslaved and/or driven mad by her magic.

The first time I saw the cover of this book, I thought it was a joke rather than a real book. Later, I read the description, realized it was real, and eventually caved to the same part of me that wants to read Japanese light novels with titles like That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime and Didn't I Say to Make My Abilities Average in the Next Life?! There's no reincarnation here, but you get the idea. Anyway, coming at this from a light novel mindset was probably for the best. The mix of stereotypical fantasy world + modern speech didn't bug me much. I wanted a fun but not necessarily fantastic read, and the cover art indicated I could expect some romance too.

The overall tone of this was pretty light, which made some of the more violent moments a bit of a shock. Fallon did not react well to anyone who threatened Cin in any way. Since Cin was left a bit shaky by several of these scenes as well, I was willing to roll with it. Then Fallon and Cin went off for a sex scene right after Fallon went on a rampage and destroyed a city. I wasn't as wild about that.

Characters didn't always react in ways that were entirely believable to me. For example, Usha barely took any convincing before siding with people who told her that everything she'd thought she'd known about demons and the goddess Myva was a lie. She also didn't second-guess any of it after her new companions destroyed the city she'd presumably lived in for most of her life.

Despite my issues with this, I did enjoy it overall. Based on some reviews I read, the next book stars Cin's friend Brie (whose family sells cheese, of course) and Felix the werewolf, so I'm looking forward to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment