Wednesday, June 12, 2024

REVIEW: The Perfect Marriage (book) by Jeneva Rose

The Perfect Marriage is a thriller. I bought my copy new.

Review:

Sarah is a successful lawyer, while her husband is a not-so-successful author. It's their 10-year anniversary, and Adam isn't surprised when Sarah has to cancel their plans - he counted on this, in fact. Rather than spending time with Sarah at their cabin, Adam has made arrangements to be with Kelly, his mistress. After getting really drunk, he wakes up the next day, leaves, and later learns that Kelly is dead, stabbed 30+ times, and he's the top suspect. The only lawyer he knows who has any chance of saving him is, unfortunately, his wife.

I was expecting to enjoy this more than the other two books by this author that I'd read. Instead, I thought it was a mess. The writing wasn't great. I wasn't a fan of the author's use of first person present tense, and there was occasional odd wording that didn't seem quite right.

Overall, this felt very amateurish, and it relied way too much on several characters being absolute idiots. Then there were the details that didn't make sense, despite, or maybe because of, all of the revelations the author tried to cram in in order to hold everything together.

I'm glad this wasn't the first book by Jeneva Rose that I read, or I might not have tried any of her other works.

No comments:

Post a Comment