Monday, May 3, 2021

REVIEW: How to Tell If Your Cat Is Plotting to Kill You (graphic novel) by The Oatmeal (Matthew Inman)

How to Tell If Your Cat Is Plotting to Kill You is a collection of random comics about cats. I'm pretty sure my copy was given to me.

Review:

I don't read The Oatmeal very much anymore, but I can still recall some of my favorite comics. Most of them are humorous spins on real-world topics, like grammar or pets. The ones I prefer don't generally involve a lot of fart, butt, or bodily fluid jokes, although those aren't necessarily deal-breakers.

Still, this book seemed to rely on butt-licking and farting jokes a lot, and it wasn't all that funny. Yes, we get it, cats lick their butts. I'm somewhat confused about all the farting, because I've lived with cats most of my life and none of them ever noticeably farted that I can recall.

The best comics were the first few before the Bobcats ones, and a few of the later ones, particularly the one with the cat trying very hard to get its owner to pet it (my cat's strategy: to find something that makes noise and then poke it repeatedly until my annoyance makes me leave whatever it is I'm doing and find her). The comic that inspired the book's title is included as a poster - it's part of the subset of this collection that I actually liked, so I appreciated that. Honestly, I think it works better as a poster than it does broken up over several pages.

While the theme of the book seemed perfect for me, overall it didn't really work for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment