Sunday, May 23, 2021

REVIEW: Bride of the Water God (manhwa, vol. 2) by Mi-Kyung Yun, translated by Heejeong Haas

Bride of the Water God is a fantasy romance Korean manhwa with mystery aspects. It was/is licensed by Dark Horse Comics but appears to be out of print now. I got my copy of this volume used.

Review:

Mui offers to help Soah go back home, but she refuses, saying that Habaek is deeply in love with her. In reality, she's hiding something that makes going home an impossibility.

Mui's comment that his words are Habaek's words does prompt Soah to begin wondering about the connection between Mui and Habaek. One god tells her that they're really the same person, while another tells her that this is a lie. Who's telling the truth? The only way to find out is to see if Habaek has the same tattoo on his chest that Mui has on his.

This continues to be a very slow-paced series, but I did like this volume a little more than the first. There are multiple mysteries in play: what everyone's motivations are, what happened to Nakbin (Habaek's previous wife), and Soah's secret. I'm interested to find out what's going on. 

I have the same comments about the artwork that I did in my review of the first volume - it's generally very beautiful, and the full-color pages are so pretty that I wish the entire volume could be in color. That said, I'm still not a fan of the author's preferred "long and bony" physique for everyone.

The tone is occasionally a bit odd. The bulk of it feels almost dreamlike, which can occasionally be confusing, especially when brief flashback moments are worked in (I mistook Nakbin for Soah at one point), but there are also a few very comedic moments, such as when Soah contemplates somehow having to strip both Habaek and Mui to see their chests.

All in all, it's pretty and not bad, but the pacing could probably be better.

Extras:

A couple pages of full-color artwork, three 4-panel "author afterword" comics, a short note from the author, and a "creator photo gallery" composed of 5 black-and-white photos of the author, which I don't think I've ever seen before in a series like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment