Wednesday, May 12, 2021

REVIEW: All Hallow's Even (e-manga, vol. 1) by Shuji Suzukake

All Hallow's Even is a supernatural manga. I got it as part of a Humble Bundle.

Review:

Tadao Tsuge is the owner of Cafe Unknown. Yuji Kodama is an employee at the cafe. When they're not serving coffee, however, they occasionally investigate supernatural mysteries and help ghosts cross over. Their latest case involves a mysterious suicide and several attempted suicides. Although the do find a ghost at the location of the incidents, it seems like there may be more going on than meets the eye.

Ehh. This was technically okay, but it read like the first chapter of a longer story, and from what I can tell, it's been a few years and this is all that was ever published. Goodreads tells me it was a web series, but I can't tell if it's legally possible to read more than just this one volume.

The artwork was okay, and I liked the basic dynamic between Tadao (the easygoing one) and Yuji (the prickly one). There were indications they were a couple - Yuji got jealous easily and Tadao thought it was cute - but the focus was definitely more on the supernatural aspects than on their relationship.

It was fine overall...but at this point I wouldn't recommend it simply because it looks like this is all there is. I got it as part of a bundle (that I'm probably going to regret buying, but at least it's all electronic and therefore not taking up any of my precious shelf space), but if I'd paid for it on its own I'd probably have been annoyed, even though it's only a dollar. There's almost no content.

No comments:

Post a Comment