Simply AI is nonfiction. I bought my copy new.
Review:
This starts with the history of artificial intelligence, then explains the difference between classical and statistical artificial intelligence and how they work, then goes into the various ways AI has been and may in the future be used, and finally wraps up with some philosophical quandaries and the benefits and drawbacks of AI's usage in the real world.
This was a frustrating read. While actual real-life ethical concerns about AI were brought up, mostly in the final section, there seemed to be far more random mentions of concerns about and the implications of AI achieving sentience. In fact, when I got to page 140's declaration that "In reality, AI applications have, at best, limited and specific abilities, and cannot think for themselves," I found myself wondering if whichever editor or consultant who wrote that text had paid attention to the many prior pages speculating about AI sentience.
When you've got a book that's, let's say, about half graphics and half text, 155 pages doesn't provide a lot of space for explaining things. I really wish the classical and statistical AI sections had been a bit less simplistic.

No comments:
Post a Comment