Flip the Script is YA f/f romance. I bought my copy new.
Review:
Hana is a lifelong K-drama fan who's just achieved her dream of being cast as the lead in a new K-drama. It feels like all her hard work and the stress of her family moving to Seoul is finally paying off. Even better, she's dating her costar, Bryan Yoon, a K-pop heartthrob who's shifting his career into acting.
Except that the show isn't doing as well as hoped, and Hana's relationship with Bryan is actually just a marketing stunt designed to increase ratings. Hana isn't the slightest bit interested in Bryan and, at least initially, the disinterest is mutual.
In yet another attempt to help the struggling show, a second lead actress is brought in - none other than Minjee Park, Hana's acting rival and former best friend. Even as their characters face off in a messy love triangle with Bryan, Hana and Minjee reconnect and renew their friendship in real life...and Hana comes to the realization that she has a crush on Minjee.
I assumed that this would be a bit of a messy read, with lots of drama as Hana falls for Minjee while Minjee thinks she's dating Bryan, and Bryan develops feelings of his own for Hana. Thankfully, it wasn't nearly as messy as I expected. Several potential misunderstandings were dealt with much more quickly than I thought they would be.
I enjoyed spending time with the characters and got weirdly invested in their TV show. I agreed with Hana, Minjee, and Bryan that the show would have absolutely bombed with its original ending. Would things actually have turned out as well in the real world as they did in this book? No idea, but it's nice to think that the answer could be "yes."

No comments:
Post a Comment