Tuesday, September 15, 2026

REVIEW: Goosebumps: Welcome to Dead House (book) by R.L. Stine

Welcome to Dead House is the first of the Goosebumps books. I don't think I ever read it.

Review: 

Twelve-year-old Amanda and her younger brother Josh are upset to be moving to a house in Dark Falls, four hours away from their old home. It's a bigger place, but it's dark and somehow menacing. Amanda keeps thinking she sees a boy in the house, and her bedroom's curtains billow in a breeze that doesn't exist. Things come to a head when their dog Petey escapes and Josh becomes convinced he went to the cemetery.

This doesn't have as effective a hook as some of the other early Goosebumps books, which was maybe why (I'm fairly sure) I never read it. Still, I thought the build-up for this one had some genuinely creepy moments. My favorite was probably when Amanda realized that every kid in town seemed to have previously lived at their house. 

One spoiler for animal lovers: Petey the dog doesn't make it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment