Sunday, August 25, 2024

REVIEW: Alice Love Fables: Toy Box (manga) story by QuinRose, art by Mamenosuke Fujimaru, translated by Angela Liu

Alice Love Fables: Toy Box is an anthology of very short stories linked to various QuinRose visual novel series. I bought my copy of this volume used.

Review:

I wish I'd paid a little more attention to the text on the cover before jumping into this, because I expected its stories to be focused solely on the various Alice in the Country of series, and instead there were stories set in a variety of QuinRose visual novel worlds, including one I had zero familiarity with.

Anyway, a quick list of the characters the stories center on:

- Arabians Lost: The Engagement On Desert: Roberto, Curtis, Stuart

- Alice in the Country of Hearts: Wonderful Wonder World: The Bloody Twins, Julius, Elliot

- Alice in the Country of Clover: Wonderful Wonder World: Gray, Peter, Blood

- Crimson Empire: Circumstances to Serve a Noble: Edvard, Justin, Michael

I only recommend this collection to people who want to read every last QuinRose story they can get their hands on. The stories here were super brief and absolutely not the best place for a newbie to any of the series to start. I had zero familiarity with Arabians Lost, and only a tiny amount of familiarity with Crimson Empire.

The stories included some tropes/character dynamics I enjoy, but none of them were long enough or substantial enough to truly be satisfying. This volume is the manga equivalent of a box of "one bite and they're gone" snacks.

Extras:

A couple full-color pages, general story and character profiles at the start of each visual novel section, a few bonus humorous comics, and a lengthy preview of Alice in the Country of Clover: Cheshire Cat Waltz.

No comments:

Post a Comment