Sunday, November 27, 2022

REVIEW: Fantasy Island (live action movie)

Fantasy Island is a 2020 horror prequel adaptation of the original television series. I bought my copy new.

Review:

Five people arrive at Fantasy Island, a resort they are told will fulfill their greatest fantasies. Patrick, a former police officer, wants to be a soldier in honor of his hero soldier father. Melanie, a social media influencer, wants revenge on Sloane, her childhood bully. Brothers J.D. and Brax are the guests of honor at a mansion party filled with models. Gwen finds herself traveling back in time to the dinner at which her now ex-boyfriend proposed to her, with the chance to change her answer to "yes."

It's a magical place, but there's more going on than meets the eye, and these fantasies come with a price.

I'll start off by saying that I have absolutely zero familiarity with the original TV series or anything related to it. I learned any and all background info about it from Wikipedia articles while writing up this review. One thing that was immediately apparent was that there were callbacks to the original series that I missed.

So basically I watched this as its own thing, and I'm going to review it as its own thing. And, as its own thing, it was...not very memorable, but not as bad as the critics made it out to be. I will say this: it's not so much a horror movie as it is a fantasy mystery disguised as a horror movie.

It wasn't what I expected it to be, and maybe it shouldn't have been advertised so much like a horror movie. I enjoyed seeing how everything tied together, and there were a few lines related to the movie's unexpected psycho that were pretty amusing.

Extras:

Deleted scenes, rated theatrical version and unrated version (I watched the theatrical version).

No comments:

Post a Comment