Sunday, September 5, 2010

Shows on Hulu, in brief

Here's what I'm working my way through in Hulu right now:
  • Baccano - I'm not sure exactly how I feel about this show, but I'm interested enough in the intertwined stories of all the characters to want to keep watching. Its violent, bloody action scenes mean it's not for everyone, though, and I imagine that not everyone would be as interested in its disjointed story as I am.
  • Black Butler - Yes, I know I've already watched this, but I want to rewatch it now that I'm watching Black Butler II. Plus, the fansubbing of the last 3 or 4 episodes was so bad that I at least want to watch those, in the hope that they'll make a little more sense.  I do think I'm going to end up buying this one. Even if he is a demon, I like Sebastian. He's one hell of a butler.
  • Black Butler II - Sebastian and Ciel are back, this time facing off with another butler and master pair. Alois makes Ciel look perfect by comparison, and Claude creeps me out. What I remembered as being hints of near-sexual content in Black Butler becomes more pronounced in Black Butler II, with Alois having been a boy toy for a disgusting old pedophile and Alois' maid apparently existing primarily as something for male viewers to lust after (I'm thinking there's a kegadoru aspect here - and, no, I didn't know that word off the top of my head, but I knew there must be a word for it, what with the whole bandaged Rei Ayanami craze.).
  • Coffee Prince - This is the first time in a long time I've watched K-drama (Korean drama). I can only watch this one a little at a time, though, because otherwise all the misunderstandings, lies, confusion, and people just plain spending too much time with people who are bad for them drives me crazy. Eun Chan is so nice, I want everything to go well for her.
  • Hetalia: Axis Powers - I started watching this one after seeing some really excellent slideshows that used fan art from this series. Since those slideshows were so serious and, well, beautiful, I was disappointed to find that the anime is a comedy with just-good-enough artwork and animation. Happily, I got over that feeling, and now I'm almost finished with this show. History was never my best subject, and I once had to retake a geography test multiple times before I got a passing grade - I think I might have paid better attention in both those subjects if I had been watching this show at the time. It might seem odd for a comedy to be set primarily during World War II, but I think this show does a good job of finding the humor in the relationships between the various countries, while avoiding being completely tasteless (apparently there are those who would disagree with me). One thing I really like about this show is that no country is demonized - Germany, for example, is not equated with Hitler.
  • Naruto Shippuden - I despair of ever getting caught up with this show. I'm only 24 episodes into it right now, and I've got 150+ to go. On the plus side, none of the episodes have an expiration date. Yet.
  • Claymore - I started watching this show because it was in my queue and I realized it was going to expire soon (in 5 more days, actually). As far as I can tell, Hulu only has English dub episodes. I don't know if it's better in Japanese, but, even though I've heard great things about it, I just couldn't get into it. I watched 4 or 5 episodes and, realizing I still wasn't all that interested, decided to move onto something else.
This is everything I've been watching on a regular basis lately, but it is in no way a representation of the full extent of my horrific Hulu queue. That currently has 767 episodes in it. Hopefully at least some of the shows will turn out to be terrible, so I can scrap them.

UPDATE: I can't believe I forgot Moyashimon!  It's probably because I actually keep really up-to-date on that one, so I rarely have any episodes sitting in my queue.  It's cheesy, but incredibly fun, and I am now convinced that I need to read the manga.

No comments:

Post a Comment