Monday, October 7, 2024

REVIEW: This Is How You Lose the Time War (novella) by Amal El-Mohtar and Max Gladstone

This Is How You Lose the Time War is a blend of science fiction and f/f romance. I bought my copy new.

Review:

Red and Blue are agents from opposing forces in a war that spans multiple timelines and locations. They become intrigued by each other, seeing each other as worthy adversaries. Although they never directly interact, they communicate through letters cleverly woven into the fabric of worlds where they know or suspect their paths will cross. Initially, the letters have a taunting tone. Eventually, however, their relationship warms, becoming something more like love.

But that doesn't change the fact that they're on opposite sides of a war. One side or the other will win, right?

This is my book club's next read. Technically, it's one I selected, but I did so on the basis of reviews and recommendations I'd seen - I told the group I hadn't actually read it myself.

Initially, this didn't really appeal to me. The language was very poetic and occasionally a little hard to follow. Instead of action, I got two agents poking at each other after they'd already done whatever they came to do (in some cases, outright genocide, although sometimes their actions were smaller and more obscure). I was, however, intrigued by the shadowy presence that followed in their footsteps and consumed or otherwise interacted with the leftover fragments of their correspondence. I continued on and eventually became more emotionally invested in the relationship developing between Red and Blue.

From what I can recall about their organizations, Red's is more technological while Blue's is more of an organic hivemind. As the story progresses, you get the impression that both of them feel a bit like outsiders in their groups. Red struck me as being a little more awkward. Blue would recommend books to her, and both of them made up sort of pet names for each other, inspired by their color-based codenames.

It was kind of sweet but took on a tragic tinge as they worried that they'd been found out. It didn't seem like things could end well, but that didn't stop me from hoping. The final revelations had me flipping back to reread earlier sections.

Extras:

A reading group guide with discussion questions and topics.

No comments:

Post a Comment