Sunday, October 6, 2024

REVIEW: If Found Return to Hell (novella) by Em X. Liu

If Found Return to Hell is fantasy. I bought my copy new.

Review:

Journeyman Wen is an intern at One Wizard, a wizarding firm that helps callers with any number of magical problems, as long as their problems are covered by insurance and the customers can afford to pay. Once upon a time, Wen dreamed of actually helping people. Now, however, daily life involves nothing more than passing customers off to more qualified but overworked wizards.

One of Wen's latest calls seems like something that might warrant a house call. Surprisingly, Wen's supervisor doesn't assign someone else to the job, but rather sends Wen, who brings along Nathaniel, a friend and coworker at the call center. Unfortunately, Wen ends up promising a little more than they should and soon ends up with a problem in the form of a new roommate who's possessed by a demon prince from Hell. 

I have no idea how the world of this novella works - who's able to do magic, what governs it, and why people can use it under certain circumstances but not others. If this had been a longer work, I might have considered this more of an issue. As it was, I was able to just accept the hand-wavy "feels like a health insurance call center" aspects and enjoy the warm "found family" relationship that grew between Wen, Shine, and Wang Ran.

I was initially a bit put off by this work's use of second-person present tense, but I got used it it. Like my questions about how the world worked, it helped that this was a short and quick read.

All in all, this was nice and the Shine and Wang Ran duo was weirdly cute. I didn't really understand how things worked out in the end, but I was willing to roll with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment