Monday, October 7, 2024

REVIEW: The Great British Bump-Off (graphic novel, vol. 1) written by John Allison, art by Max Sarin

The Great British Bump-Off is a blend of comedy and mystery. I bought my copy of this volume new.

Review:

It's the start of a new season of UK Bakery Tent, and Shauna, a student and one of the new contestants, is delighted to spend time with all these fellow bakers. She's sure it will be an experience filled with good vibes and baking togetherness...until she finds one of the other contestants face down in a bowl of batter, apparently poisoned (but not dead, FYI).

In order to save the show, Shauna promises to find the poisoner before the end of the first episode, while simultaneously completing the baking challenges along with the rest of the contestants. The only two contestants she's sure she can trust are Jill (a retired midwife) and Sunil (a yoga instructor).

If you're not at least somewhat familiar with The Great British Bake Off (or Great British Baking Show), this may not work for you. As a mystery, this was a mess, and I had trouble believing that Shauna could solve everything with as little as she had to work with.

However, as a loving parody of the show, it was fabulous. I've only ever watched the first few seasons, with Paul Hollywood and Mary Berry, so there may have been references I missed. Still, I got a kick out of Pete Holyrood ("just back from the baking wars") and the various baking challenges, which honestly could have been real challenges from the show.

The artwork was amazing and fit the quirky, wacky vibe of the story perfectly. 

All in all, I loved this, even though it was rushed and over way too soon. Speaking of which, I was confused by the number 1 on the spine - from what I could tell, this was complete in one volume, summing up the results of the rest of the season in the last page. Is there supposed to be more to this series? If so, I'm there for it, however it manages to happen. I loved the energy of this volume.

Extras:

Cover art for the original issues and six pages of character sketches.

No comments:

Post a Comment