Friday, February 6, 2009

Higurashi, Best Student Council - Continuing with online viewing

I'm still watching Best Student Council - this is the kind of show I should really find boring, and yet I keep watching. The hand puppet still has a lot to do with that. There are plenty of "zany student group" anime out there, so the only thing that really makes this anime stick out for me is the puppet. And the possible connection between the Best Student Council president and the main character (is she her mom, reincarnated??). Anyway, there will definitely be a full post for this anime once I finish it. I'm not yet halfway through.

I've also been watching Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (US title: When They Cry). No, this is not something playing on Joost or Hulu - bad me, I'm weak and back to watching fansubs for the first time in months. Anyway, the show's art style doesn't really grab me - it's kind of bland and boring, and the characters' bodies look a bit awkwardly drawn to me. Rightstuf sent me an ad for this anime, but I didn't really know what it was about until I read a review on Anime New Network for the manga. Basically, a guy goes to live in a small rural town. He becomes friends with several cute girls - one's nice and gentle, one's loud and energetic, one's young and cute, etc. It sounds like the set-up for a cardboard cutout harem story, except then the story's twist is introduced - a while back, the town was being threatened by a proposed dam, and one of the dam workers was hacked to pieces by someone in the town. Although the guy asked his new friends about any murders or accidents in the town's past, they all denied any knowledge of anything ever happening. Much of the anime's first episode is light and fluffy, but the opening song and animation (plus the messy killing at the very beginning) make sure to clue viewers in on the bloody, creepy horror to come. I've only seen the first episode so far, and I think I'll stop there tonight, just in case the rest is enough to give me nightmares.

Since I'm watching the fansubbed version of Higurashi, I won't be writing a full post about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment