Thursday, April 2, 2009

Workday listening

When I'm doing easy copy cataloging (which is what I do most of the time), I like to listen to stuff - I usually listen to online radio or audiobooks. However, I'm now trying webcasts instead. I started off with a random one I discovered through one of the many library-related blogs I'm subscribed to, and now I'm working my way through the Library of Congress's many webcasts. Of the ones the Library of Congress has done, I've listened to "Life Beyond MARC," "Cataloging Principles and RDA," and "How and Where Blogs Work." The last one is, in my opinion, mis-titled, although I enjoyed it very much - blogs don't get mentioned until 38 minutes into the 55 minute webcast. Since I catalog while I play this stuff, I can't watch the video while listening to the audio - fortunately, that hasn't really been much of a problem so far. "Life Beyond MARC" was the only webcast that prompted me to occasionally pause in my cataloging so that I could take a look at the video.

If you'd like to check out all the Library of Congress's webcasts, click here. If you just want to see the ones for librarians and archivists, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment