Monday, August 31, 2026

REVIEW: Secluded Cabin Sleeps Six (book) by Lisa Unger

Secluded Cabin Sleeps Six is a thriller. I bought my copy new.

Review:

This jumps between a few characters and time periods. On the one hand, we have Hannah. Growing up, she was the "sensible one" who cleaned up after her brother Mako's messes and comforted her friend Cricket whenever he broke her heart. In the book's present, Hannah's thoughts revolve around her young daughter, Gigi, and her husband Bruce, who she's worried might be cheating on her. When Hannah's brother, the CEO of a game development company, invites Hannah, her husband, Cricket, and Cricket's boyfriend Joshua to come stay at a luxurious and secluded cabin he's rented, Hannah reluctantly agrees. She's worried about being away from Gigi for the first time, but this trip will hopefully give her and Bruce some much needed time to themselves.

Hannah's chapters alternate with chapters from the POV of Henry, who, years ago, was left an orphan when his troubled and skittish mother was killed. 

I had several early theories about how Henry's chapters connected with Hannah's. None of them turned out to be correct. This was honestly a blessing since, for a while there, my theories had me genuinely concerned that this book was going to have surprise incest in it.

There was a whole lot going on here. The cabin itself was kind of creepy, with a more-than-kind-of creepy owner. Multiple people were hiding things, and character relationships were complicated, to say the least. A bad storm made everything worse by trapping everyone right when everything started to fall apart. 

Although everything did come together in a way that made sense, I was annoyed when Unger deprived me of one particular character death I'd spent a good chunk of the book looking forward to seeing. Man, I really wanted that character to die. 

No comments:

Post a Comment