Sunday, April 7, 2024

REVIEW: Nyankees (manga, vol. 3) by Atsushi Okada, translated by Caleb D. Cook

Nyankees is a comedy/action manga series. I bought my copy of this volume new.

Review:

Three newcomers invade Nekonaki Town, although they don't appear to be working together. There's a Sphinx who creeps out everyone who meets him, a Bengal obsessed with fighting, and a fluffy cat who uses catnip in battle. Taiga's spot as top cat in Nekonaki becomes even more precarious when he faces off against the Bengal, prompting the return of his brother Raiga. Meanwhile, the smoky cat's catnip techniques are super effective.

It's not saying much, but this was at least better than volume 2. I rolled my eyes at the "four mollies of Nekonaki" stuff, but I enjoyed the cuteness of Raiga's involuntary purring around his brother. Also, thumbs up to the author for the details surrounding the way Mr. Moke was dealt with (ooh, this means my cat would have a chance of beating him in battle). That was actually pretty clever. The author also works humans into the humor pretty nicely - I got a kick out of the old guy who was like an obsessed birdwatcher, but for cats.

Extras:

A couple pages of full-color artwork, translation notes, and character design sketches for Sango.

No comments:

Post a Comment