Monday, January 1, 2024

REVIEW: Touch My Brother and You Die, Vol. 1 (book) by Morpho

Touch My Brother and You Die is a fantasy light novel, or whatever the Korean version happens to be called. I bought my copy new.

Review:

I finished this back in October 2023 and should have reviewed it closer to that time. Here's what I can recall: the heroine, Rosalite, suddenly comes to the realization that she's a minor character in a BL novel starring her brother, Asterion (Rion). His story is a tragic one and ends with him being killed or committing suicide, which automatically resets Rosalite's life to age 16. She's tired of this and just wants to live her life and study magic in peace, except Rion keeps dying. She learns that, in order to break the cycle, she must fulfill Rion's wish, whatever that is.

I got this because I can't help but be drawn to "heroine reborn in a novel" stories, and in this case it was intriguing (although certainly not original, at this point) that she was only a minor character in what was actually her brother's story.

Although this was reasonably entertaining, the editing was terrible (misspelled names and more). There wasn't much of a plot, just hilarious amounts of rage on Rosalite's part, when she wasn't feeling ground down by the constant resets of her life. I was reminded of My Next Life As a Villainess (Rosalite's lack of interest in romance and cluelessness about how she came across to the characters around her), Defeating the Demon Lord's a Cinch (If You've Got a Ringer) (Rosalite's entertaining rage), and I Swear I Won't Bother You Again! (that one chapter from Rion's POV).

There's zero romance in this, just work and rage. Rosalite was casually murderous and no one seemed to care about all the murder. I laughed when she completely bewildered and shocked one character by deciding to marry him and declare him perfect because he was the human equivalent of MS Excel.

Will I continue this? Eh, maybe, even considering the editing issues, but I've got plenty else to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment