Sunday, March 26, 2023

REVIEW: The Men Who Stare at Goats (live action movie)

The Men Who Stare at Goats is inspired by the book by Jon Ronson and is a black comedy war movie. I bought my copy used.

Review:

Bob is an investigative journalist who goes to Iraq in an effort to prove something to both himself and his ex-wife, who left him for his editor. While there, he meets Lyn Cassady, a man who he realizes is connected to a guy he thought was a crackpot, who'd claimed to have once been part of a secret military project devoted to psychic abilities. Figuring that a huge story has potentially just fallen into his lap, Bob decides to join Cassady on his mission and learn more about the secret military program he was part of.

I remembered the commercials for this being pretty good when the movie first came out, but I never got around to seeing it. Unfortunately, the commercials were the best bits. My sense of humor and this movie's comedy did not mesh. I found this to be more weird than funny, and honestly kind of boring. 

I had a tough time caring about the characters and what they were doing, and the flashbacks to the creation and downfall of the New Earth Army were only vaguely interesting. 

All in all, not really worth the time and effort it took to watch it.

Extras:

Featurettes, audio commentaries I didn't listen to, character bios (which I think were used as trailers for the movie), and deleted scenes.

No comments:

Post a Comment