Saturday, July 25, 2020

REVIEW: Murder on the Orient Express (audiobook) by Agatha Christie, narrated by Dan Stevens

Murder on the Orient Express is a mystery. I checked it out via one of the library Overdrive collections I have access to.

Review:

Poirot rides the Orient Express with wide variety of other passengers, from a Russian princess to an American woman who won't stop talking. At one point during the trip, Poirot learns that the train has stopped and a murder has occurred. The victim is a passenger he had found viscerally unpleasant, Mr. Ratchett. As Poirot investigates, he discovers many clues, none of which make sense.

I somehow forgot that I'd already previously listened to this, with the exact same narrator. That's what happens when I don't take the time to write a review, I guess.

Anyway, Stevens' narration was excellent. He managed to give all of the characters unique voices without making any of them grate on my nerves (more than they were supposed to - looking at you, Mrs. Hubbard).

The first time I listened to this, I tried my hardest to figure out who committed the murder and completely failed. The overabundance of clues confused me. This time, I remembered most of what had happened and why, so I was better able to note what Christie had done, and marvel that I'd never figured it out. It seemed so obvious once I knew the solution.

But there was more to this than the identity of the murderer and how the murder was committed. For a book that doesn't actively try to manipulate readers' emotions, this still did a good job of making me tear up a few times.

My Agatha Christie experience is limited, but I think I'd consider this my second favorite of hers.

No comments:

Post a Comment