Saturday, October 29, 2022

REVIEW: A Study in Emerald (graphic novel) story and words by Neil Gaiman, art and adaptation script by Rafael Albuquerque

A Study in Emerald is a Lovecraftian take on A Study in Scarlet. I checked this out from my library.

Review:

This starts similarly to the original A Study in Scarlet, but with some Lovecraftian details even in the beginning. For example, this time the victim's blood is green. You'd think that would be one of the baffling parts of the investigation, but not here. It's definitely an alternate universe take on Sherlock Holmes.

I checked this out from my library after running some circulation reports and realizing that no one had checked this out yet. I decided I might as well be the first person.

A Study in Scarlet is one of my least favorite of the original Sherlock Holmes stories. Granted, I haven't read all or even most of them, so that's not really saying much. This graphic novel took the very basics of the original story and then went in a completely different direction. I can't say too much without spoiling things, but I enjoyed the result. I was reminded of Gaiman's Murder Mysteries, which also had more folded into it than the premise might lead one to expect.

Extras:

Includes some early character designs and sketches.

No comments:

Post a Comment