Sunday, May 17, 2009

Movie theater time - Star Trek

I went and saw the new Star Trek movie today. It was better than I expected. There were several very funny bits (my favorite: McCoy chasing after Kirk, injecting him with stuff in a desperate attempt to take care of yet another bad reaction to the previous injection - doesn't sound funny when I write about it, but it really is, trust me), and a few good action scenes. Sulu got to kick butt, Uhura was great and got to reject Kirk with style, Scotty and McCoy were amusing, Chekov was adorable, and Kirk was still a bit of a womanizer but charming enough that this wasn't as annoying as it could have been. Oh, Spock wasn't bad either - it was just weird seeing Zachary Quinto and not Leonard Nemoy.

Now, just off the top of my head, the things that bothered me:
  • The Romulans - Did they ever look like that in the show? With the tatoos? I don't recall that, but then I never watched the original Star Trek, just the spin-offs.
  • Spock and Uhura - This bothered the friend I saw the movie with too. While I'm thrilled that Uhura didn't fall into Kirk's arms and make herself another notch in his belt or whatever, the Spock thing was just weird. The first time she kissed him in the movie, his response was so stilted I thought for sure she was just forcing her affections on him or something. Then, later, it's confirmed - they're a couple.
  • They jumped from space?? And survived?! - Well, mostly survived, but the jumping from space was not what killed the one guy. Shouldn't they have all burned up in the atmosphere? Maybe they didn't start out in space, but I could've sworn they did...
  • A cracked spaceship is a very bad thing - Near the end, the Enterprise cracks a bit while under tremendous strain. Cracked glass was all that stood between the people on the bridge and space, and yet no one was nearly as worried as they should have been. Did I miss something?
There's probably more, but I can't think of anything else right now. Anyway, there may not be much to do in this town, but movie theater tickets are incredibly cheap, and I didn't feel like I wasted the money. Of course, the ticket cost me less than $3, so that's not really saying much. Although I had fun, I don't plan on buying the movie once it comes out on DVD - I have no desire to re-watch it.

No comments:

Post a Comment