Saturday, December 7, 2013

Kamisama Kiss (manga, vol. 1) by Julietta Suzuki

I'm pretty sure Kamisama Kiss counts as a supernatural romance series, although, so far, it's heavier on the supernatural part than on the romance. This was one of my vacation reads.

Synopsis:
Nanami's deadbeat dad abandons her after racking up gambling debt and losing their home. Wandering around with nowhere to go, Nanami meets Mikage, who says she can live in his home. What he actually did was make her the new tochigami (from my understanding, some kind of deity). Tomoe, who served Mikage, refuses to accept Nanami until she forces him to do so when she's attacked. Her first task as a human tochigami is to help a lovesick catfish yokai, Himemiko.

Review:

This volume was okay, but there was a slavery element to it that made it a bit discomfiting to read, especially since I'm assuming Nanami and Tomoe are going to fall in love at some point. It reminds me a little of the relationship between Inuyasha and Kagome in Rumiko Takahashi's Inuyasha series. I'm not entirely sure why Kamisama Kiss rubs me the wrong way when Inuyasha didn't.

At this point, there's very little indication that Tomoe likes Nanami. I'm not particularly enamored of Nanami yet, myself. I plan to continue this series, just to see if it gets better, but so far it hasn't really grabbed me.

No comments:

Post a Comment