Saturday, January 7, 2017

Worst of 2016

2016 wasn't a great year for reading or movie-watching for me.

Worst Books:
Worst Shorter Works (Novellas and Short Stories):
Worst Graphic Novels (Manga, etc.):

Although my links go to the whole series, the entire series might not have been bad - it was just that certain volumes were bad enough to prompt me to include the series in my "worst" list.
Worst Audiobooks:
Worst Movies:
Worst TV Series:
Honorable Mentions:
  • Dramaworld (live action TV series) - I never wrote a post about this one or even managed to finish it, but I still feel like it should be included on this list. The premise made me extremely uncomfortable. A white girl who's a huge fan of Korean dramas gets sucked into Dramaworld, a fictional world where all Korean dramas take place. People are magically able to understand her, and she them, via automatically generated subtitles. The main character is supposed to act as a background facilitator of the romances that drive Dramaworld, but she promptly inserts herself into a prominent romantic story. This review does a great job of detailing how incredibly awful this setup is. 
  • I kind of want to list Yuri!!! on Ice here, which would make it the first series to ever appear on both my "Best of the year" and "Worst of the year" lists. I enjoyed it too much to call it one of the worst shows I watched in 2016, but I don't think it's unfair to say it was one of my biggest disappointments. This part in an interview with the creator, in particular, irked me: (about the kiss/hug) "As for me, I don’t want to say 'this is what actually happened' and force an interpretation on people. Everyone can imagine the future they want to believe in that scene, and I won’t stop them (LOL)."

No comments:

Post a Comment