Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Yuri on Ice - I have now seen the final episode

(This post is somewhat spoiler-y, so if you haven’t seen the final episode of Yuri on Ice and are avoiding spoilers like the plague, you should maybe move on for now.)

I got myself another guest pass for Crunchyroll, and I just finished the last episode. I think I feel good about it? I mean, besides the tears that were streaming down my face during most of the performances.

Okay, so I didn’t quite get everything I hoped for, but I did at least get the spirit of what I wanted. I think? (Oh geez, I’m so conflicted about this finale. It was beautiful. I cried a lot. But!) Confused emotions aside, this series gave me a happy ending, and for that I'm thankful. I really needed that.

JJ! I didn’t even like the guy, and yet I still cried for him. Yurio! So wonderful. His performances were gorgeous. The bit at the end with Viktor and Yuri was great, but not quite what I expected (well, not entirely true, because I tossed that idea around a while back but figured it couldn’t possibly happen). But what, exactly, does that mean as far as competitions go?

I heard something about another season possibly being in the works, but I haven’t had the courage to check whether it’s just a hopeful rumor or something more official. I really, really hope there’s going to be another season. I want more. And even though I’m still not quite sure how I feel about the ending (I wanted dialogue spelling things out, darn it*), I’m totally getting this show when it comes out on DVD.

In theory I'll be writing a review of this series at some point, but I think my emotions have to settle first. And I'll maybe have to rewatch some of it. Again. I did a series rewatch after episode 10, and I watched a couple of Yuri's performances multiple times.

* ETA, a few hours later - "Unambiguous" is the word I am looking for. Sorry, it took me a while to get my vocabulary back after that episode.

No comments:

Post a Comment