Saturday, February 27, 2016

Sad news from Samhain Publishing - they're shutting down

Or at least that's what I've heard via this link and others. No exact date, but...crud. I own about a 100 Samhain titles, some of which are part of series that I don't own in their entirety. I suppose it's time to consider which gaps I should try to fill and which ones I'll leave alone and risk never being able to finish if I end up falling in love with them later.

If you're considering buying some Samhain titles but need recommendations, here are a few I've enjoyed:
  • Happy Snak by Nicole Kimberling - Standalone sci-fi, essentially a first contact story with lots of alien culture stuff - not much in the way of romance. I loved this book and have reviewed it here. I might see about snagging myself a paper copy of this one.
  • Frank Tuttle's Markhat series - Urban fantasy, would probably be good for fans of Jim Butcher's Dresden Files books. I really enjoyed the first three, stumbled a bit at Hold the Dark, and haven't continued on since then. Now I get to debate whether or not to buy the few entries in the series I don't yet own.
  • Hemovore by Jordan Castillo Price - Standalone m/m vampire story in which vampirism is a highly infectious disease. My review is available here.
  • Pricks and Pragmatism by J.L. Merrow - Standalone m/m romance. My review is available here.
  • Charlie Cochrane's Cambridge Fellows Mysteries - I've only actually read the first one, and I never did get around to reviewing it, but I enjoyed it. I own a paper copy but bought several (all? I guess I should check) of the rest of the books in e-book form. 
I think what I'll miss most is Samhain's sci-fi and fantasy stuff, both the ones with romance and the ones mostly without (although it wasn't always easy to tell which was which). And their decent-sized "new releases" discount.

No comments:

Post a Comment