Sunday, June 26, 2011

This post is brought to you by the color red

Looking at the cover art used in my last few posts, I seem to be going through a "red" period. I'm toying with the idea of purposefully having periods where I concentrate on reviewing works with cover/container art that is primarily of a single color. Unfortunately, I figure as soon as I decided on something like this, I'd want to do anything but read or watch things with that color. Plus, there are interlibrary loan items and library checkouts to consider.

I may still try out the color thing, but, even if I don't, I thought it might be fun to list everything I could find in my collection that looked predominantly red to me, or where the red really stood out. It turned out to be a longer list than I expected. I've organized the list according to whether something is animation, live action, manga, or books, but that's it. I thought about organizing it all alphabetically, too, but there turned out to be so much to list that I abandoned that idea. That's also why there are no links.

So, what's red in your collection? Any thoughts about color-themed posting?


Anime, non-Japanese animation, CGI animation:
  • Kaze, Ghost Warrior (CGI animated movie) - I'm sure I'm one of only a handful of people in the world who owns this, which might be reason enough to write about it.
  • X (anime TV series) - the first DVD in my collection has red cover art
  • Cowboy Bebop: The Movie (anime TV series)
  • Black Blood Brothers (anime TV series)
  • Batman: Gotham Knight (non-Japanese animation?) - This one has enough yellow in it for it to also work for an "orange" period. Or black.
  • R.O.D. (anime OVA) - Not as much red as some, but I'll say it fits anyway.
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender, The Complete Book 3 Collection (non-Japanese animation) - I haven't yet written about season 2!
  • Rurouni Kenshin, TV Series Season One Box (anime TV series)
  • Karin, Complete Box Set (anime TV series) - I liked the manga well enough, but the anime is pretty awful. However, if I wrote about it I might finally feel okay about getting rid of it. Hmm...
  • Tactics (anime TV series) - Red enough for a "red" period? I'm going to say it is.
  • Bludgeoning Angel Dokuro-chan, Smashing Special Edition (anime TV series) - This series is very, very bloody, so it's not really surprising that the case art is primarily red. It also helps that the school uniforms are red.
Live action TV shows and movies:
  • Moon Child (live action movie)
  • Ghosts of Girlfriends Past (live action movie) - If I write about this, I can finally get rid of it. Yay!
  • Captain Kronos, Vampire Hunter (live action movie) - This could also count as orange, I think. I haven't yet seen it, but it looks nice and awful.
  • Snatch (live action movie) - I'm not sure if the color I'm seeing is a reddish-brown or an actual red. I'll count it anyway.
  • Babylon 5: The Complete First Season, Signs and Portents (live action TV series) - It's metallic, so it could also conceivably be yellow or orange.
Manga:
  • Wild Ones (manga) - I have several more volumes, and they all seem to be predominantly red.
  • Loveless (manga, vol. 6) by Yun Koga - This one might actually work better for a white-themed period. I'm not sure I'd like skipping straight to this volume, though - although I've read the previous 5 volumes, I haven't written about them yet.
  • Peace Maker (manga, vol. 1) by Nanae Chrono - Again, this one would also work for a white-themed period. However, it's at least the first volume of the series.
  • Bound Beauty (manga, vol. 1) by Mick Takeuchi - This would also work for a "yellow" period.
  • DNAngel (manga, vol. 1) by Yukiru Sugisaki - This one would also work for a "white" period.
  • GetBackers (manga, vols. 7 & 13) art by Rando Ayamine, story by Yuya Aoki - It looks like Ayamine likes to go with two strong colors on each cover, just judging from the few volumes I have in my collection. Both would work for red, but 13 could also be orange, and 7 could also be yellow.
  • Ceres: Celestial Legend (manga, vol. 5) by Yuu Watase - I haven't written about any of the other volumes. Considering what this series is like, I'm surprised I didn't find more red volumes in my collection, but then again I also don't own the whole thing.
  • The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (manga, vol. 1) - It could also work for blue, or white.
  • Yggdrasil (manga, vol. 1) by Lay Mutsuki - It's dark, but the background definitely looks red to me.
  • Gakuen Prince (manga, vol. 1) by Jun Yuzuki - It's a horrible train wreck in manga form! And also the cover is red.
  • Crown (manga, vol. 2) by Shinji Wada and You Higuri
  • Alice in the Country of Hearts (manga, vol. 2) story by QuinRose, art by Soumei Hoshino - Not the first volume in the series, sadly. I haven't written about any of this yet, but I've read it, and I enjoyed it more than I expected. Unfortunately, Tokyopop was one volume away from completing it.
Books:
  • The Carnival of Death (book) by L. Ron Hubbard - Got this one at a conference.
  • A Kiss of Shadows (book) by Laurell K. Hamilton - Not sure if I'm ready to submit myself to this again, although at least in the first book there was still some hope that the series would have an overall coherent plan to it.
  • The Stanislaski Sisters: Natasha and Rachel (book) by Nora Roberts - My edition of this book has almost completely red cover art - good for a color-themed period.
  • The Accidental Demon Slayer (book) by Angie Fox - I got this one at a used bookstore a while back, but I've never read it.
  • Survivor in Death (book) by J.D. Robb
  • Lord Foul's Bane (book) by Stephen R. Donaldson - I haven't read this yet, although I've been meaning to for years.
  • Sacred Ground (book) by Mercedes Lackey - I'm pretty sure I've read this before, but, if so, it was a long time ago.
  • You Slay Me (book) by Katie MacAlister
  • Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (book) by J.K. Rowling - Is this red enough to count for a "red" period? Not sure, but the Fawkes fills up a good portion of the cover, so I'm going to say "yes."
  • The Lost World (book) by Michael Crichton - I'd rather not write about the second book when I haven't yet written about the first, particularly when it's been a while since I last read the first book. That doesn't mean I can't at least list it.
  • Outlander (book) by Diana Gabaldon - Not as red as some of the others, but I think it counts.
  • Fantasy Lover (book) by Sherrilyn Kenyon
  • Spells of Wonder (book, anthology) by Marion Zimmer Bradley - I've never read this, but I know I must have bought it back when Laurell K. Hamilton was still my favorite author.
  • The Queen in Winter (book, anthology) by Claire Delacroix, Lynn Kurland, Sharon Shinn, and Sarah Monette - Two thirds red, one third blue.
  • Animorphs: The Visitor (book) by K.A. Applegate - I got this at a conference.
  • The Librarian's Passionate Knight (book) by Cindy Gerard - I got it because it's a romance starring a librarian. The only reason this one counts as red is because it's a Silhouette Desire book, and it's got a nice big stripe of red on the left side of the cover.
  • Reunion (book) by Lindsay McKenna - A Silhouette Nocturne.
  • Trinity Blood, Volume 1: From the Empire (book) by Sunao Yoshida - A light novel, almost all of which seem to be awful, but that may be due to the translations. I haven't read this one yet.
  • Prince of Midtown (book) by Jennifer Lewis - A Silhouette Desire, so the red stripe down the side is the primary reason why it counts as red.
  • The Beekeeper's Apprentice (book) by Laure R. King - I wrote about this a long time ago, but I thought I'd list in anyway.
  • The Da Vinci Code (book) by Dan Brown - This was a laundry room reject that I rescued because, similar to that period I spent slogging through Danielle Steele books, I thought it might be good to read it. I still haven't read it.
  • Gryphon in Glory (book) by Andre Norton - Is it red or is it purple? I'll say red!
  • To Tempt a Scotsman (book) by Victoria Dahl
  • Bitten (book) by Kelley Armstrong - My edition is red.
  • A Letter of Mary (book) by Laurie R. King - The edition I have is half red, although there is also some blue and yellow.
  • His Majesty's Dragon (book) by Naomi Novik
  • Ceremony in Death (book) by J.D. Robb - My edition is the one that's primarily red, with a turquoise corpse at the top of the cover. The early covers for this series were hideous, but at least recognizable. The newer covers all blend together, in my opinion.
  • Sonoran Heat (e-book) by Katrina Strauss
  • Sleight of Hand (e-novella) by Katrina Strauss - Technically more brown than red, but it's a reddish brown.
  • Chains of Love (e-book) by Katrina Stauss - I already wrote about the first book in this series.
  • Embraced by Darkness (book) by Keri Arthur

No comments:

Post a Comment