Sunday, June 12, 2011

Nothing on books, manga, TV shows, or movies, but do try these cream biscuits

I haven't hardly watched anything lately (I think I burned out after frantically trying to watch all the shows FUNimation chose to remove from Hulu), but I've read quite a bit. I just haven't written anything. I'm behind by about 6 books/novellas (the line between the two seems to blur a bit in the e-publishing world), and, as far as manga goes, I've stopped keeping track of what I've read that I haven't yet written about.

Since I'm apparently not in the mood to write about what I've been reading lately, I thought I'd write about one of my current favorite recipes: super-easy cream biscuits. I added the "super-easy" bit myself, because it's true.

If you bake at all, you probably have several of the required ingredients on hand. The only things I didn't have were kosher salt (I haven't yet tried making these with regular table salt, so I don't know if it's vital that kosher salt be used) and heavy cream.

A couple numbers in this recipe are a bit wonky. The recipe says it makes 12, but the actual instructions say to cut the dough into 8 wedges. The first time I made this, I did exactly as the recipe said. The 8 wedges make some good-sized biscuits, each of which are pretty filling. I ate two of them in one sitting, which turned out to be a bit too much. The next few times I made these biscuits, I patted the dough into something like a rectangular shape and cut the rectangle into 16 pieces. Because my oven has a tendency to burn things if I bake them for even the minimum suggested time, I baked these for 9 minutes, checked them, and then baked for an additional minute. They were almost always done after about 10 minutes in the oven.

I'm used to baking bread in my bread machine, or at least having my bread machine knead my dough for me. Everything I've made with my machine's help has had yeast in it, which means all of it takes at least 3 hours, not counting cooling time. Biscuits that can be made, from start to finish, in about 20 minutes are amazing to me. I was a little nervous about kneading the dough the first time, but it was easier than I thought, and my bread machine taught me what good dough looks and feels like.

This really is a pretty forgiving recipe. I know I added too much heavy cream the first time (the cure: knead in more flour until the dough stops making wet sucking sounds), and I just finished baking some where I added a bit of the heavy cream to the dry ingredients before remembering that I had forgotten to thoroughly sift the dry ingredients together (the cure: stir as well as possible, then add the rest of the cream - the few biscuits I've eaten so far tasted fine, but I'm prepared for at least one to have too much salt or something).

Go, try these, they're easy and delicious. Now I'm going to go back to reading things I'll probably never get around to writing about.

No comments:

Post a Comment