Sunday, January 31, 2010

Preparing for metaphorical winter

One last post, and then I promise I'll quit for the night - I have to, I've got to go to work in a few hours.

I knew it was only a matter of time, but I had still sort of been hoping it would never happen - my university is having budget problems, which means that my library is having budget problems. Currently there is no talk of layoffs, although I wouldn't rule out reductions in our hours that result in corresponding reductions in pay. We'll see. Just in case, I'd like to build up my cushion even more each month than I already do. That means that, for now, I need to stop, or at least drastically scale back, all that happy spending on luxuries like books, anime, movies, and music (my Moribito purchase happened before we started getting near daily "depressing budget news" emails, by the way).

That doesn't mean I won't still have plenty of things to write about on this blog - I've got tons of anime I haven't watched yet, both in my personal collection and online, I've got lots of books in my TBR pile (a good chunk of it is strange laundry room reject stuff, but that should hopefully make them even more fun to write about), the local movie theater is still dirt cheap (I'm not so afraid of layoffs that paying $2.75 to see a movie, even as much as once a week, worries me), and there hasn't been any talk of ending or even reducing our ILL service. With all of that, I doubt I'll run out of blogging fodder any time soon. Probably the only person who will notice any changes is me, because I'll be going through withdrawal after having gotten used to a really nice luxuries budget.

1 comment:

  1. As a long-time state employee - they really really hate to lay off anyone. They will rarely even fire someone, even when it's justified. A reduction in hours would come off of evenings and weekends first and be unlikely to affect us. Nevertheless, saving more and spending less is always a good idea - although I have gotten spoiled by my luxuries budget too.

    ReplyDelete