Thursday, October 8, 2009

Might as well get on the disclosure bandwagon

I'm sure other book bloggers have seen this or something like it - I'm not actually sure if the FTC's revised Guide has any effect on me. If it does, I'm not sure what that effect is. I tried wading through the PDF, but it made my eyes glaze over.

I don't make any money off of what I write - heck, I don't even use AdSense. I frequently link to Amazon.com (every book suggestion links to Amazon, every manga and anime suggestion links to Anime News Network, and every movie suggestion links to IMDb), but, if you click on those links and buy the books, I make no money from that. I don't care if you buy from Amazon or not - you could buy the books from somewhere else or, better yet, get them from the library. I have a few advance reading copies (ARCs) in my collection, but I think I've only written a post about one of those so far (Any Given Doomsday by Lori Handeland - my post now clearly states that the book was an ARC). Most of what I review I have either bought, paid to see (in the case of the movies I saw in the theater, for instance), or checked out from the library. I only have ARCs because I won them through contests (writerspace.com is great for that) or because I responded to a general email promotion (Shelfari gave away lots of Any Given Doomsday ARCs, just for replying to an email they sent out - I figured they were lying and was surprised when I actually got a book in the mail). How I get access to a book, anime, manga, or movie has no effect on what I write about it.

I think that about covers it. I'm such a parenthesis junkie. And, p.s., I hate it when I screw up post titles. ::sigh::

No comments:

Post a Comment